Decker Lake

K has really gotten into fishing recently and we were looking for a different lake to try out.  A couple of online sites with information about fishing with kids recommended trying Walter E Long Lake (previously and still locally known as Decker Lake.)

 The only other time I have been to Decker lake was for a triathlon a few years ago.  Then, I hadn't really been focused on the fishing :o) So this was a sort of new place for us!

Overall, the lake isn't incredibly pretty.  It has a left and right wing, with picnic tables and shore access to the lake and in the main area there is a boating dock and fishing pier.  I didn't notice any restrooms.

From previous experience I know that the area around this lake (skirting the exterior of the park) is very nice for bike riding.  The roads are wide and there is a very little traffic.  There is a nice ten or so mile route around the lake that is scenic and enjoyable.


While the lake touts that swimming is available, the shallow mud would make for a pretty squishy wade, and I'm not sure it would be my top pick of swimming holes.

But, the lake is stacked with bass once a year, so there is a chance of snagging a larger fish to take home.  Though, to be honest, I haven't a clue what I'd do with it, if K ever did catch a big fish! ;">

After we drove around a bit, we decided to try out the pier and docks.  K did manage to catch a total of 10 perch (or bluegills or whatever small fish they were) in about three hours, so he was thrilled!  We chose not to take any home with us :o);

Overall, I'd say this lake is a nice place to fish, bike ride or boat, but I don't know that I'll be adding it to my top 50 list!.




2 comments:

  1. However, it is of great importance to learn to determine the best area to launch the rigs and start with the bait trolley best lures for bass fishing, and also know how to determine the recommended depth depending on the type of dam that you want to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lake Superior is known for its cold water and rugged shoreline but there are some sandy beaches scattered across its 300 or so miles of southern shores. Other beaches are more of the cobble variety. ac repair company in rowlett

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips